Thursday 28 August 2014

Pin cushion

Chemo at the Kinghorn took all day Tuesday with one unit of blood and some hydration – took a couple of hours to cannulate as my veins are so small from dehydration and weight loss so I became a bit of a pin cushion!

Weight is an issue - down to 52kg so lost 6kg in 3 weeks – some of that I think is hydration but appetite is the main concern.

Very tired and unsteady after treatment and had to be helped to the car by the kind Dr Alex, nurse and Dr Manders – Jack drove me home and I have been recovering since.

Today (Thursday) seems better – relatively! – eating something at least and sat in garden for a little while – I love the sun and the quiet... til I slipped off the chair by reclining a bit too energetically – doh! Managed to pick myself up though Mr Bean style... should have shot it!

Appointments to see Alex tomorrow to see how I'm doing and discuss a port line with care coordinators for future chemo etc to save the cannula issues. Also we are considering another feeding tube to help nutrition – watch this space!

Also following up on the Mebendazole tablets that Claire has been taking whilst Peter has been taking Albendazole (thanks J) – always interesting that common treatments have added benefits.

____________

On my past Duderstadt Dendritic Cell treatment for those interested:

Not sure how much it has benefited me or how much of the four or five months of strength was due to coming off chemo but I have no regrets regarding the decision and am glad and hopeful we may have been a small part of developing this immunotherapy.

Interesting note From Claire's blog 'As Prof proudly said to Claire, "You are officially my longest surviving non chemo patient"'

Below are a few blogs for others on the journey.

Great news for Kate MacRae who had a clear scan. You can read her story here – Date for Kate

Peter Trayhurn's blog is in depth  – he's over in Germany now and also caught up with Claire in Duderstadt.

My own Duderstadt DC treatments are linked here.



1 comment:

  1. Claire wrote about Mebendazole but Peter is taking Albendazole (althought both belong to the same class of drug benzimidazole). Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete