Tuesday 25 March 2014

Whitechapel

Refreshing to meet the open-minded and understanding gastroenterologist consultant, Dr Sean Preston at The London Hospital this morning – having run through my history to date with both Lisa, an intern, and him he has arranged a non-urgent CT scan plus a non-urgent endoscopy (booked for the 17th April). He also ordered a blood test today – I did find it a little odd that we don't routinely take blood tests each time at Dr Nessulhut's – I will ask if that is normal at next treatment in Duderstadt.

His use of the words "non-urgent" created a sense of calm following my niggling worries about the dysphagia (which may of course still be a concern).

He discussed options for the future including a stent to open the esophagus if it got too bad (hopefully not!) and also drinking carbonated drinks when eating which I hadn't heard before (does a beer count?) plus further chemo and palliative care if and when I wanted it.

I'll also add on first impression The London Hospital seems a great deal better than any NHS expectations based on media hearsay – obviously a lot of the modern physical rebuilding going on helps but Jack and I were extremely early and expected a long wait – we were seen within minutes and everyone involved couldn't have been more helpful – hey and where else could you get Hot Roast Salmon with Quinoa and Oven Roasted Cherry Tomatoes in a hospital canteen?


2 comments:

  1. Hope the scans are done promptly. Great to hear you're getting the attention you deserve. Jack is a credit to you. In my experience it's a good idea to carefully document every contact you have with doctors so you can check/follow up later.

    With you every step of the way Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam - Michael Graham here. I just heard of your situation and want to wish you and your family every strength and optimism in what is a tough time. No doubt you are taking enormous strength from your family and I wish you the very best. Thoughts are with you Adam. Michael

    ReplyDelete