Wednesday 19 February 2014

Shower fun

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Where else would you get a choice of seven shower modes from Nebula to Caribbean Storm to Shower Fun other than the spa at the Zum Löwen which has become an integral part of my therapy and should be available to all on Medicare.
I tried each of them and love the aromatic mists but unexpected bursts of cold water are a bit too Bear Grylls for my liking so I retreated to the hot steam of the Dampfbad...
Today after my self administered spa treatment I had more localised hyperthermia with NDV and Zometa. It sure beats IV chemo – drifting away on a warm waterbed as the nurse tucks you in with a blanket and all but reads you a story. OK the needle in the arm for the infusions may break the spell but even that seems more tolerable than in a hospital environment.
And that may be part of it – the clinic system appears to be more personal (and obviously more personally expensive) and on a much more human scale. Their view is that it allows an efficient and speedier 'bench to bedside' approach to treatments – i.e. from research to patient doesn't have to take 10-15 years.
So does Biosceptre's nf-P2X7 work – we won't know for a month or so yet but it feels like it – there that's jinxed it – swallowing has become perfectly normal just suddenly in the past few days, no longer having a fear of food getting 'stuck' or trying to wash it down with water. My appetite seems normal, though vegetarian options in Germany are not the greatest and the fatigue is definitely lessened. All I do know is it sure feels better than the vomiting, exhaustion and constant saliva stream of chemotherapy. (Though I'm not going to completely knock conventional treatments in case I have to return someday!)
When people stop offering me their seat on the tube or trying to help open a bottle of water for me at Heathrow (seriously the top was welded on!) I'll know I also look less like Cancerman – or maybe it's just an age thing?




2 comments:

  1. I particularly like the bit about the nurse who tucks you in. Where do I go for that?

    Tom Ray

    ReplyDelete